Photographing barn swallows at Annagassan Co Louth

While in Annagassan this week in Dundalk Bay I just happened to see a barn swallow land on the rope mooring of a fishing boat. I raced over hoping it would still be there by the time I got into shooting position. It didn't mind me sitting on the pier and it went back and forth from the rope to the mudflats with its partner for about 10 mins. What an absolute treat to photograph as the light was just perfect to show off its amazing iridescent colours and those long tail streamers.  




For my New Zealand friends this is a barn swallow (Hirundo rustica) and different to your welcome swallow (Hirundo neoxena) which I've also had the opportunity to photograph on both islands. Below is one of my photographs...


A New Zealand welcome sparrow perched on a log
Rosie's photo of a welcome swallow


Above is a picture Tony took of a Welcome swallow or warou in Māori on the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand. A New Zealand Welcome Swallow doesn't have the same luminosity of colour as the Barn Swallow and its tail streamers are much shorter.

Comments